Review- It's Got to be Perfect: The Memoirs of a Modern-Day Matchmaker



Title: It's Got to Be Perfect: The Memoirs of a Modern-Day Matchmaker
Author: Hayley Hill
Published by: Matador
Published: September 16, 2013
Book courtesy of author, in exchange for an honest review.

From Goodreads:

#1 Amazon best seller!

When Ellie Rigby hurls her three-carat engagement ring into the gutter, she is certain of only one thing, that she has yet to know true love.

Following months of disastrous internet dates and conflicting advice from her dysfunctional friends, she decides to take matters into her own hands. Although now, instead of just looking for a man for herself, she’s certain her life’s purpose is to find deep and meaningful love for all of the singles in the world.

Five years on, running the UK’s biggest matchmaking agency, and with hundreds of engagements to her name, she has all the answers she needs.

She knows why eighty-five percent of relationships fail. She knows why twenty-eight is the most eligible age for a woman. She knows that by thirty-five she’ll have only a thirty-percent chance of marriage.

Most of all, she knows that no matter what, it has to be perfect.

Or does it?


It's Got to Be Perfect is inspired the author's six years as a matchmaker in London.



My Thoughts:

I was so delighted and grateful to get a chance to read and review It's Got to Be Perfect! I had read a couple of reviews of it, and then got a chance to see the book trailer. After that I was sold, and I just had to read it for myself. The book trailer is so cute, and I wanted to share it with you all, so here goes:

 
  

The story begins with a young woman named Ellie, who is engaged to man who she believes is perfect. He's rich, handsome, and athletic. She soon learns he's not all what he's cracked up to be, and finds herself single once again. 

Two years later, and Ellie's still single. She's dated a lot of guys that she wished she'd never met. She's exasperated and frustrated. She has expectations for what she wants in a man, and will not settle for anything less.  What Ellie doesn't seem to realize at first, is that she isn't quite perfect herself, so to expect perfection from a man, isn't ideal.  Thankfully, her friend Matthew, sets her straight and calls her on her double standards.  I really liked Matthew. He gives Ellie great advice and doesn't hold back when it comes to honesty.  He once asked her why dating a wealthy man was important? 

"So I can live in a big house and have a nice lifestyle, without having to worry about money."
 My new friend Matthew's reply:

"Well, madam," he began peering over his glasses, "in this day and age, a lady can go out and achieve such things without the aid of a man. So, you're just being a lazybones."

Isn't he great??  
Ellie begins to rethink her approach to finding Mr. Right, and decides to help others find their perfect match instead. She really believes there's someone perfect for each of us. She starts a matchmaking service, and soon hires on a couple of associates to help her when her new business takes off.

It's Got to be Perfect was very entertaining and funny!  I enjoyed reading other peoples' opinions about what they think love is and what their ideal, perfect mate would be like. Many of the characters were quirky and fun. I also appreciated that we got to follow some of them of them for a few years and see how they were doing on their search for love and happiness. I especially liked Jeremy and Harriet's story. I'll admit, I wasn't sure what to think of Harriet at first, but I grew to like her in the end, and I found I could relate to her.

Victoria and Mandi were two more characters that I enjoyed reading about. The banter between these two was hilarious, as they were complete opposites. I was surprised to find that there was more to Mandi then what she appeared be most times.  She turned out to be very intelligent and thoughtful.

I found myself wanting to read more, once I finished this book. I wanted to see if Ellie did find her HEA after all. I can only imagine that she did. She learned so much throughout this book, and her expectations for what she wanted in a mate did indeed change.


Rating 4.5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
DESIGN BY THE BLOG DECORATOR