Review: Second Chance Summer by Jill Shalvis



Title: Second Chance Summer
Series: Cedar Ridge, #1
Author: Jill Shalvis
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Date Published: June 30, 2015

RESCUE MECedar Ridge, Colorado, is famous for crisp mountain air, clear blue skies, and pine-scented breezes. And it's the last place Lily Danville wants to be. But she needs a job, and there's an opening at the hottest resort in her hometown. What has her concerned is the other hot property in Cedar Ridge: Aidan Kincaid-firefighter, rescue worker, and heartbreaker. She never could resist that devastating smile . . .

The Kincaid brothers are as rough and rugged as the Rocky Mountains they call home. Aidan has always done things his own way, by his own rules. And never has he regretted anything more than letting Lily walk out of his life ten years ago. If anyone has ever been in need of rescuing, she has. What she needs more than anything are long hikes, slow dances, and sizzling kisses. But that can only happen if he can get her to give Cedar Ridge-and this bad boy-a second chance . . .
  



https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23435151-second-chance-summer
 
 
My Thoughts:
 
I love Jill Shalvis', Lucky Harbor series. When I found out she was writing another series that takes place in the mountains of Colorado, I was so excited!! I couldn't wait to meet her new cast of characters.
 
One of my favorite things about Shalvis' books are her characters and how real, relatable, and endearing they are. They never fail to make me smile or laugh, and this author has an awesome sense of humor! I was happy to find that Aidan and the rest of the Kincaid family did not fail me. I loved how close they were. Even though they had their fights and squabbles, they still remained a tight knit unit and looked out for each other. I got a chuckle out of their dialogues and the stunts they'd make each other do.
 
I wasn't sure what to think of Lily. I think I would have liked to have learned how she picked up the pieces, once she moved to San Diego ten years ago. I also had a hard time understanding why she would close herself off as much as she did. I could sort of understand, but to be honest, it didn't really make sense to me. I felt like I didn't really know much about her relationship with Aidan ten or so years ago. I couldn't figure out if they had just started dating or if they had been a couple for awhile, before she had left.  I know that they were friends and maybe a little more, but I didn't really understand the depth of their relationship back then. I would have liked a little more of a back story, where they were concerned. Therefore, I was a little confused by the feelings that she and Aidan had ten years later.
 
One of the things I really enjoyed was learning about the lives of fire fighters and rescue workers. They work tirelessly and risk so much to help society. I really had to admire Aidan and Mitch for their courage and commitment. Even when they were sleep deprived, they were still ready for the next mission, and went into it with a willing heart and with a great attitude.
 
I did give Second Chance Summer 3 Stars. It just wasn't as fast-paced as I would have liked and  it seemed liked the book was longer than it really needed to be. I often found my mind wandering and found myself skimming some parts. With that said, I am still looking forward to the next book in the Cedar Ridge series- My Kind of Wonderful, where we get Hudson's story!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
DESIGN BY THE BLOG DECORATOR