Review: Not in the Script by Amy Finnegan



Title: Not in the Script
Series: If Only...#3
Author: Amy Finnegan
Date Published: October 7, 2014
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Childrens

Not in the Script was a really cute, YA contemporary book. I really liked the Hollywood spin on the story, and getting a glimpse of what it could be like for young actresses and actors, from dealing with the paparazzi to putting together a T.V. show. Actually, most of my favorite parts of the book were when they talked about production, edits, and sets, especially when we learned about sound studios and what they are used for. It takes so much time and effort to just put a small scene together! Anyhow, I found all of that fascinating.
Emma did not seem like your stereotypical starlet that one might envision for a celebrity. She was very down to earth and approachable. She was kind, considerate, and very likable. I also admired how she was attending online courses while having a career in acting. There were times that she did frustrate me, however. She could be naive and let others take advantage of her. So many of her problems could have avoided with simple communication and/or not waiting so long to explain herself.
The love interest in the story was pretty sweet. I could really see why the two could relate to each other and be compatible. There wasn't and epilogue at the end, but I could see the couple staying together, despite it being a Hollywood romance.
Surprisingly, I think my favorite character was Kimmie. Yes, she was mostly a brat, but I got a kick of her sarcasm and quick whit. I appreciated that she stood up for herself and expected others do the same. 
I would definitely recommend Not in the Script to those looking for a fun, light, contemporary romance. This is a book I would even share with my own teenage daughter. It was pretty clean, and I think she would enjoy the same aspects that I did.


My Thoughts:

Not in the Script was a really cute, YA contemporary book. I really liked the Hollywood spin on the story, and getting a glimpse of what it could be like for young actresses and actors, from dealing with the paparazzi to putting together a T.V. show. Actually, most of my favorite parts of the book were when they talked about production, edits, and sets, especially when we learned about sound studios and what they are used for. It takes so much time and effort to just put a small scene together! Anyhow, I found all of that fascinating.
Emma did not seem like your stereotypical starlet that one might envision for a celebrity. She was very down to earth and approachable. She was kind, considerate, and very likable. I also admired how she was attending online courses while having a career in acting. There were times that she did frustrate me, however. She could be naive and let others take advantage of her. So many of her problems could have avoided with simple communication and/or not waiting so long to explain herself.
The love interest in the story was pretty sweet. I could really see why the two could relate to each other and be compatible. There wasn't and epilogue at the end, but I could see the couple staying together, despite it being a Hollywood romance.
Surprisingly, I think my favorite character was Kimmie. Yes, she was mostly a brat, but I got a kick of her sarcasm and quick whit. I appreciated that she stood up for herself and expected others do the same. 
I would definitely recommend Not in the Script to those looking for a fun, light, contemporary romance. This is a book I would even share with my own teenage daughter. It was pretty clean, and I think she would enjoy the same aspects that I did.



3 comments:

  1. Oh! I've seen this one before! I'll have to look for it the next time I'm on a book shopping spree lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a cute book, Jen! There is another book in the series that I enjoyed- Wish You Were Italian. They can be read as standalones though. :)

      Delete
    2. Oohhhh right right! That's probably where I've heard of this one. I have Italian on my adventure to read list!

      Delete

 
DESIGN BY THE BLOG DECORATOR