Review: Faking It by Cora Carmack


Title: Faking It
Series: Losing It, #2
Author: Cora Carmack
Date Published: June 4, 2013
Publisher: William Morrow & Company
Narrator: Emma Galvin

Mackenzie “Max” Miller has a problem. Her parents have arrived in town for a surprise visit, and if they see her dyed hair, tattoos, and piercings, they just might disown her. Even worse, they’re expecting to meet a nice, wholesome boyfriend, not a guy named Mace who has a neck tattoo and plays in a band. All her lies are about to come crashing down around her, but then she meets Cade.

Cade moved to Philadelphia to act and to leave his problems behind in Texas. So far though, he’s kept the problems and had very little opportunity to take the stage. When Max approaches him in a coffee shop with a crazy request to pretend to be her boyfriend, he agrees to play the part. But when Cade plays the role a little too well, they’re forced to keep the ruse going. And the more they fake the relationship, the more real it begins to feel.
 




My Thoughts:

I can't believe that it was three and a half years ago that I first read Losing It by Cora Carmack! I enjoyed Bliss and Garrick's story so much, and it was actually one of the first New Adult books that I have read. The sequel, Faking It, takes place soon (maybe a few months?) after Losing It ended. 

Cade...what can I say?! Ahh- I loved him so much, and may have a slight crush on his character. I'd seriously be happy just having his point of view. He was kind, funny, easy going, and talented. I really wanted his to find his HEA and have someone treat him the way he deserved to be treated. It saddened me to know how people have hurt him over the years. However, he was still resilient and charming, and didn't let those things bring him down. At least not outwardly. 

I have to be completely honest and say that I did not like Max. At all. She angered me more often than not, and other than her physical appearance and her gift for singing, I could not figure out why Cade liked her so much. She could be so mean, uptight, and ungrateful! In the beginning, Cade was willing to do her a BIG favor and on short notice (without even knowing her), and yet she got pissed off at him for- I don't know...not reading her mind?  being too nice? and then she assaults him. Wait- what?! If he had done that to her, it would be considered abuse!  I don't know why he would stick around after that. Anyways, there were lots of other things that I did not like about Max, and I am likely in the minority, but I could not grasp why she was sooo angry? She hardly even mentioned what happened in the past. Yet, it was an excuse to act the way she did. It also bugged me how she was towards her parents, unless they were giving her money. I understand that she wanted to be seen as herself, but she could have done something about that, instead of hiding. But the way she treated Cade? I'll just stop right there...

With that said, I still liked the story! It had a really cute plot line and I enjoyed the concept of the characters 'fake' dating.  Oh- and I adored the side characters, especially Milo and Spencer!  They were funny and often brought the voice of reason to the characters when they needed it. I wish we had more moments with them in the book! I got especially excited when we got to see Bliss and Garrick again! I am really hoping to read the third book, Finding It, this summer. I really want to see what Kelsey has been up to!









No comments:

Post a Comment

 
DESIGN BY THE BLOG DECORATOR