Today's topic is all about those books that instantly go into the 'Not Happening' category. One thing that you may or not know about me is they I can be kind of picky particular about what I like to read. Fist off- I don't judge others for their reading choices. We should be free to read what we want to read.
Unfortunately, there are just some topics or subjects that I need a break from. There are other topics that don't interest me.
1. Authors behaving badly. While I believe in the right to free speech, some authors take things a step too far (twitter, FB), and may not realize that they sometimes insult or ostracize some of their readers. Yes, we can say what we want, but our words can hurt and/or have consequences. Be nice.
2. He had a dark past...
While I might be very curious about what happened to create this brooding hero, I've seen this trope one too many times.
3. Millionaires.
Or millionaire businessmen. I see this a lot in synopsis (synopses?). I mean more power to them (not literally and no pun intended), but usually I just want to read about the average Joe.
4. Love Triangles.
If I'm surprised by a love triangle halfway through a really good book, that's one thing. If I know there is going to be one before starting a story, that's another.
5. Constantly insulting or stereotyping people/characters based on their religion, skin color, or political views. This is one of my biggest pet peeves.
6. A vague synopsis. You read a synopsis and still have absolutely no clue what the book is about. I'm not one who likes to go into a book blindly.
7. Books that are very hyped. I get my hopes up and then more than likely, I'll end up being disappointed or not liking it. Happens more often than not. Then again, I tend to stay away from books that have a really low average rating. *shrugs*
8. Okay, this is hard to explain. I love reading books about strong women or women who kick butt, and I seek out such books. I also like sarcasm. However (and this could be for men or women), I get irritated when authors confuse strength with characters who are downright malignant (for no good reason) or who throw out insults left and right. Then there are characters who insist they don't ever need help or advice, and do the opposite just to be contrary. Are these really the only ways to show strength?
9. Thrillers, mysteries, and horror books. Just not my thing, personally.
10. Multiple Points of View
How about you? What things make you not want to read a book?


























No comments:
Post a Comment