Title: Taste of Darkness (Healer, #3)
Author: Maria V. Snyder
Date Published: December 31, 2013
Published: Harlequin MIRA
From Goodreads:
She's fought death and won. But how can she fight her fears?
Avry knows hardship and trouble. She fought the plague and survived. She took on King Tohon and defeated him. But now her heart-mate, Kerrick, is missing, and Avry fears he's gone forever.
But there's a more immediate threat. The Skeleton King plots to claim the Fifteen Realms for his own. With armies in disarray and the dead not staying down, Avry's healing powers are needed now more than ever.Torn between love and loyalty, Avry must choose her path carefully. For the future of her world depends on her decision.
My Thoughts:
I've really enjoyed Maria V. Snyder's Healer series. Taste of Darkness is the last book in the trilogy. The previous book, Scent of Magic, left off with a bit of a cliffhanger, so I was a bit nervous to read it. Although parts of it seemed a bit drawn out and some parts were rushed, I really did enjoy the story overall.
It's very difficult to do this review without spoilers, so we'll just say that Kerrick and Avry have spent a lot of time apart. They are in the middle of a war, so they really haven't had a moments peace together. I kept feeling so bad for Avry because most of the time, she didn't know where Kerrick and certain friends were, nor did she know whether they were alive or dead. There were other times when I felt like she was taken advantage of. Avry handled it all like a champ, and proved how strong she was.
I'm always leery of reading the last book of a series. They're usually hit or miss for me. However, Taste of Darkness leaned towards the hit side. I only wish there was a little bit more closure and answers at the end. Things just seemed to wrap up so suddenly, despite the overwhelming odds. There was also a particular character that I had come to know and love, who just seemed to fall of the radar three fourths of the way through the book. We never learned whether he lived or died.
With that said, I cannot decide if my favorite thing about this series is the world building or the characters. It's a close call. I love the idea of a world where people have magical abilities. I think it would be interesting to be a forest mage or a healer. Of course, it would also be scary to be a death magician, or to have contact with a person who uses it for evil purposes.
The characters in this series are unforgettable. I think my two favorites are the monkeys- Loren and Quain! I loved the comic relief they provided. They were also fiercely loyal and protective of Avry. Avry was an inspiring heroine. She was tough, yet compassionate, and always put others before herself.
In the end, I am very glad that I read this series. It's one that I can see myself re-reading at some point, and I cannot wait to read even more books by Maria V. Snyder!
Rating: 4 Stars


























No comments:
Post a Comment