Review: Crashing Into You by B.D. Rowe


Title: Crashing Into You
Author: B.D. Rowe
Date Published: October 3, 2013
Publisher: B.D. Rowe
Source: NetGalley


New Adult Contemporary RomanceBookish college sophomore Sydney Baker wants Evan Taylor with every ounce of her being. The hottest stud on campus, Evan is six foot four, ripped, stacked with muscles. He's even easy to talk to.

There's just one problem: he's her roommate Melanie's boyfriend.

But when Melanie tragically dies after a night of wild partying, Sydney and Evan turn to each other in a time of intense grief. And it doesn't take long for their close friendship to blossom into something more.

Unfortunately for Sydney, secrets from the past soon put her relationship with Evan to the test. Especially when a sexy blonde freshman makes her way into Evan's life, and tries to rip away everything Sydney holds close to her heart.




My Thoughts:

I wanted to like this book. I really really wanted to like it. Going into it, I knew it had poor reviews, but I was intrigued, and had to give it the benefit of the doubt. After all, there are books that I've enjoyed over the years, that I know others haven't cared for or rated low. The synopsis for Crashing Into You sounded so good, so I had to read it for myself.

Crashing Into You had a really strong start.  Something very traumatic happened to the main character, Sydney, when she was eighteen, and I was so sad for her.  I wanted to know how she was coping and how she was dealing, even two years later, when she was in college. I feel like I didn't really get much of that though. And this is where the book just went downhill.

See here's the thing. I know Sydney had a nightmare about what happened in the very beginning. I know she hated it when other people drank, let alone got drunk- and believe me, I understand why. However, I didn't really feel any  pain or turmoil while I was reading. It was more tell than show. Honestly, I did not even like Sydney most of the time.  She came across as entitled, condescending, and a narrow minded, if you ask me. She spent a good deal obsessing (like, really obsessing) over Evan who was NOT available, and kept staring at and coming on to him.  I kept wanting to tell her, "Whoa, back off."  Sydney also made me mad because she more or less told another girl to cut her hair so people wouldn't confuse the with her sister. As if it was the girl's fault that she looked like her sister. *shakes head*

Honestly, I could only find one character that I liked in Crashing Into You, and that was Robert.  He was really sweet and kind.  All of the other characters in this book seemed shallow and self-centered.  Even Evan. I'm sorry, but I had a hard time trusting him throughout. Yes I know he was tall, gorgeous, and...talented.  I just not feel the connection between him and Sydney. But then, maybe he and Sydney deserved each other?

Crashing Into You is supposed to be a standalone, yet it ended very abruptly, and with so many unanswered questions and resolutions. When I finished the last sentence, I just stared at the page, because I knew there had to be more to the story. I could sort deal with the choppy writing, but I could not get past what appeared to be an unfinished book.






No comments:

Post a Comment

 
DESIGN BY THE BLOG DECORATOR