Title: Wish You Were Italian
(If Only...#2) Can be read as a standalone
Author: Kristin Rae
Date Published: May 6, 2014
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Source: NetGalley
Pippa has always wanted to go to Italy … but not by herself. And certainly not to sit in art school the entire summer learning about dead guys’ paintings. When she steps off the plane in Rome, she realizes that traveling solo gives her the freedom to do whatever she wants. So it’s arrivederci, boring art program and ciao, hot Italian guys!
Charming, daring, and romantic, Bruno is just the Italian Pippa’s looking for—except she keeps running into cute American archeology student Darren everywhere she goes. Pippa may be determined to fall in love with an Italian guy … but the electricity she feels with Darren says her heart might have other plans. Can Pippa figure out her feelings before her parents discover she left the program and—even worse—she loses her chance at love?
My Thoughts:
I seek out books in which characters travel abroad and experience new places. It's a dream of mine to travel, and unfortunately I've only gone to one other country. When I read a book in which a person travels, I feel like I am living vicariously through them, and it thrills me to no end.
Pippa's parents have forced to spend a summer at an art school in Florence, Italy. Although she is an aspiring photographer, Pippa has no desire to attend art school or to follow the footsteps of her parents, who own an art gallery. When she arrives in Rome, she makes an impulsive decision that will change her summer entirely.
First off, I am so jealous of Pippa right now. Italy??
I loved how the author described the different places that Pippa visited. I sort of felt like I was there with her, because she described the colors, scents, and surroundings so vividly. I loved the interactions that Pippa experienced with the people she encountered, and thought it was nice that she was trying to learn how to speak Italian.
I really liked the journal that Pippa's best friend, Morgan, gave to her. In this journal, Morgan suggested new things for Pippa to do and to try and experience while she was away. I just thought this was a really really cute and fun idea! I think I just might make one of these journals if someone close to me ever decides to make a trip out of the country.
I really liked the guys- Bruno and Darren. Bruno was this cool, fun guy, even though he had some issues and what somewhat of a ladies man. My heart went out for him, as it seemed like he didn't really have anyone to help him through his difficult times. Darren was this friendly and sweet guy, who was like the boy next door. I thought it was really cute how nervous he'd get around Pippa. Chiara was another character who I was especially fond of. I don't think Pippa would have ever guessed that she would meet someone who would become like a sister to her, when she decided to go to Rome. Chiara was so nice and outgoing, and I loved how she had Pippa's back. She'd also talk sense into Pippa when she really needed it.
Pippa was really mature and independent, especially for seventeen. I have to say though, I was a bit surprised that she decided to go her own way right after arriving. Stunned even. While on the plane to Italy, she was so panicked and worried as she contemplated being alone to a foreign country that I found it surprising that she even changed her plans at the drop of a hat. As a parent, I would totally flip out if my daughter did this. My heart beats faster thinking about it (don't judge). I really did not fully understand why Pippa did what she did until the end of the book.
There were times in the Wish You Were Italian that I wondered about all of the coincidences that occurred. Were they likely or probable? Probably not. However, I chose to let them slide because I was having fun with the story. Would I recommend this book to those looking for a fun, Teen/YA, standalone book? Absolutely.
Rating: 4 Stars



























Wow this sounds really good. Makes me want to meet Pippa too!
ReplyDeleteI was nosing around on GR and noticed that this is one of the series where each book is by a different author. Have you read any of the other ones? Do they have to be read in order?
ReplyDeleteHey Jen! I have not read any of the other books in the series, although I plan on reading the third book soon. While reading WYWI, I didn't feel like I was missing at all, so I'm pretty sure if can be read as a standalone. Actually, I'm not sure why the books are all linked in the same series? I need to find that out..
Delete