Title: Get HappyAuthor: Mary Amato
Date Published: August 1, 2014
Publisher: Egmont USA
In this poignant, realistic, contemporary YA by a state master list star, perfect for fans of Sarah Dessen and Gayle Forman, a young songwriter builds a substitute family with her friends in place of the broken family she grew up with.
A hip high school girl who loves music, writes songs, and is desperate for a ukelele, learns to her shock that her father did not abandon her years ago and has been trying to keep in touch. She begins to investigate him, only to discover that he has a new life with a new family, including the perfect stepdaughter, a girl who Minerva despises.
My Thoughts:
Get Happy was a light, fun read. Although there was a serious issue (an absent father), it didn't seem to overpower or take precedent throughout most of the story.
The author wrote the book in such a way that we got to exerience the world through Minerva's eyes. She had a quirky and easygoing personality, and didn't seem to take things too seriously. She wasn't indifferent by any means, but she found the humor in situations and often wrote songs about the things she was currently experiencing.
Minerva had an awesome best friend named, Fin, and the two of them were really witty and in sync with each other. I loved how much they cared about each other and how they would often break out into songs. Min and Fin got a job at a company called Get Happy, where they had to dress up in costumes, sing, and host children's parties. This made for some pretty funny commentary and moments!
The ending made me a little sad. I really felt for Minerva, and I think that I was more angry about things than she was. I just wish there was more resolution to Minerva's story. Although it was implied, but I would have liked to have read about it for myself, especially since there was so much build-up throughout the book.
I really hope that Mary Amato plans to write more books. I know that I will definitely read them! I adore the fact that they are centered around a love for music and lyrics, and that they help to bring the characters together somehow.


























Have you read Guitar Notes? I loved that one and was curious about Get Happy...but not quite curious enough to pick it up and read it...at least not yet
ReplyDeleteOh yes! I loved Guitar Notes. :)
Delete