Title: The Problem with Forever
Series: (standalone)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Date Published: May 17, 2016
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
For some people, silence is a weapon. For Mallory “Mouse” Dodge, it’s a shield. Growing up, she learned that the best way to survive was to say nothing. And even though it’s been four years since her nightmare ended, she’s beginning to worry that the fear that holds her back will last a lifetime.
Now, after years of homeschooling with loving adoptive parents, Mallory must face a new milestone—spending her senior year at public high school. But of all the terrifying and exhilarating scenarios she’s imagined, there’s one she never dreamed of—that she’d run into Rider Stark, the friend and protector she hasn’t seen since childhood, on her very first day.
It doesn’t take long for Mallory to realize that the connection she shared with Rider never really faded. Yet the deeper their bond grows, the more it becomes apparent that she’s not the only one grappling with the lingering scars from the past. And as she watches Rider’s life spiral out of control, Mallory faces a choice between staying silent and speaking out—for the people she loves, the life she wants, and the truths that need to be heard.
My Thoughts:
This is the second standalone novel that I have read by Jennifer L. Armentrout. I also read Don't Look Back and I really that one, and I really liked The Problem With Forever, as well. Now that I think about it, I think I actually prefer her contemporary books more than her paranormal series. I mean, those are great too, but there's just something about her standalones and her Wait for You series that draws me in.
Ok- enough rambling.
The Problem With Forever also deals with sensitive issues. The main character, Mallory (aka Mouse), had a horrific past, and has been making strides to overcome her issues that have resulted from her abuse. She's attending a public high school for her senior year and she is ready to be thrown back into society again. I really liked Mallory, and found her to be sweet, kind, and for her whole character to be believable. I read another book about a character who didn't speak much, and I didn't really buy the whole story (sorry). Mallory doubted herself at times and I understood why she didn't speak up for herself. I'm not saying that it was good, but I totally understood why. One thing that I really appreciated was the consistency of how her character and personality were written. Certain traits didn't come and go, just because she felt like it or because she met 'that guy', and although she felt comfortable around certain people, she still struggled to get her words out.
I wasn't sure what to think of Rider at first. He sort of upset me at the beginning and I didn't like how he could be a little cold towards his girlfriend. I didn't think it was fair, to be honest. With that said, he did grow on me. I like that he was respectful towards Rosa and Carl, and that he looked out for Mallory and tried to help her.
The Problem With Forever was filled with some ups and downs. There was happy, funny moments and there were a few times that I teared up a little. I adored all the side characters- Jayden, Hector, Paige, and Ainsley. Ainsley was another character that grew on me. She kind of annoyed me at first, but then later I could see why she was Mallory's friend. Oh, and I want to thank Ms Armentrout for painting homeschooling and homeschoolers in a positve light! So often they are given a rep in Teen/YA books, and I don't think that's always fair.
I know I am probably in the minority here, but I really liked Paige. I would actually like for her to get her own book. She appeared to be strong, without being obnoxious, and she didn't stoop to catty behavior. Yes, she got pissed (and rightfully so), but I could kind of see her reasoning. Yes, there were times when she could me a little mean, and I don't excuse that. But I still want to know here story and to see if she can find happiness.
I am looking forward to another standalone book by Jennifer L. Armentrout. I know that whatever it it is, it will be great!



























I'm so glad you liked this one too Anna! I really loved it! I agree- I love her contemps! Her paranormals are good too but man... I loved Mallory's character and I agree JLA did a great job with her. I like that she was consistent too. It makes it feel so much more realistic that way. I didn't like Paige much though. I do understand where she was coming from and that she was hurting herself, but ugh I hated how mean she was. She did redeem herself a bit in the end and I would not be opposed to a Paige book either. I'm right there with you waiting on JLA's next standalone! I love them!
ReplyDeleteThank you for your comments, Jess. I almost wrote that Paige was my favorite villain, but stopped short. LOL. I'm curious as to what Armentrout's new book will be about! Glad I'm not the only one who likes her contemporaries. :)
Delete