Title: Sugar and IceSeries: Rinkside in the Rockies, #1
Author: Aven Ellis
Date Published: December 28, 2016
Publisher: RJM Publishing
Sugar and Ice is the first full-length novel in the Rinkside in the Rockies Series by Aven Ellis!
Josephine Rossi has recovered from a broken heart, but has vowed that she's all about the desserts now as a recipe tester for Bake It! Magazine. Cheesecake never breaks your heart. Unless it cracks on the top, but still, it tastes amazing if you bake it just right. She knows what to do in the kitchen as far as making luscious desserts. Men? Apparently she's not so good at figuring them out, so she refuses to bother. Josephine knows it is safer to stay in the kitchen than to take another chance with her heart.
Denver Mountain Lions forward Cade Callahan is passionate about hockey, but is also about finding love. He thought he had it once, but a disastrous romance last holiday season has him keeping his heart in check. While he’s fearless on the ice, he’s guarded with his heart. Cade is determined history won’t repeat itself again. He won’t let his guard down until he’s certain he’s met The One.
However, Cupid's arrow might just strike when these two least expect it. When an oven goes out, and a cheesecake for testing has to be baked, and Cade just happens to live in the same building with a working oven...Well, things other than cheesecake might just heat up in the kitchen. Can these two passionate people learn to trust their hearts again? Can love override fear for Josephine and Cade? And will they find the combination of sugar and ice is the sweetest one of all?
Josephine Rossi has recovered from a broken heart, but has vowed that she's all about the desserts now as a recipe tester for Bake It! Magazine. Cheesecake never breaks your heart. Unless it cracks on the top, but still, it tastes amazing if you bake it just right. She knows what to do in the kitchen as far as making luscious desserts. Men? Apparently she's not so good at figuring them out, so she refuses to bother. Josephine knows it is safer to stay in the kitchen than to take another chance with her heart.
Denver Mountain Lions forward Cade Callahan is passionate about hockey, but is also about finding love. He thought he had it once, but a disastrous romance last holiday season has him keeping his heart in check. While he’s fearless on the ice, he’s guarded with his heart. Cade is determined history won’t repeat itself again. He won’t let his guard down until he’s certain he’s met The One.
However, Cupid's arrow might just strike when these two least expect it. When an oven goes out, and a cheesecake for testing has to be baked, and Cade just happens to live in the same building with a working oven...Well, things other than cheesecake might just heat up in the kitchen. Can these two passionate people learn to trust their hearts again? Can love override fear for Josephine and Cade? And will they find the combination of sugar and ice is the sweetest one of all?
My Thoughts:
*Warning: Do not read on an empty stomach. You will be tempted to partake in cheesecake, cannolis, and other tasty foods in mass quanities.
Could it be that I have found a new favorite Aven Ellis book?! Yes, indeed.
I absolutely loved Sugar and Ice. For one, it encompassed three of my absolute favorite things in life- hockey, pizza, and desserts. What made it even better was reading about characters that I absolutely loved and was excited for!
Josephine had such a beautiful personality. I liked that she was kind and caring, yet she didn't let people take advantage of her or treat her wrongly. Her comebacks were smart and witty, yet she didn't come across as b%tchy (which is a HUGE bookish pet peeve of mine). I was also fascinated by her Italian roots and her love for her crazy famly, and how they played a key roll in her decision to go to culinary school. I also enjoyed learning about what it could be like to work for a food/cooking magazine, and learned a few things about the process.
Cade easily became one of my favorite male characters. I was elated when I found out he was a history geek, like me, and could completely understand his fascination with Jojo's great grandparents. His feelings toward Jojo were heartwarming and so believable, and I admired how Aven Ellis wove everything together to create such a lovely story.
I would be remiss if I forgot to mention Nonna or Jojo's family. Oh my, they were hilarious! I hope to be like Nonna when I grow up.


























No comments:
Post a Comment