Title: RetreatSeries: Getaway, #1
Author: Jay Crownover
Date Published: December 28, 2016
Rating: 4 Stars
Every once in a while, you need to get away from it all.
I was a woman on the edge, shaken and shattered after a breakup that felt like it tore my entire world apart.
My best friend, sick of watching me drown in misery and melancholy, harassed me until I agreed to go with her on a week-long wilderness retreat.
She promised days spent bonding and getting in touch with our inner bad-asses.
It was supposed to be all about the two of us roughing it and making do with the bare minimum. She assured me we were going to be pushed to our limits in ways that were unimaginable. Neither one of us could have ever guessed just how right she was.
Nowhere in the glossy brochure did it say anything about the fact I was going to have to battle the insufferable but deliciously rugged and sexy trail guide instead of the elements. The brochure also forgot to mention the part that warned when you left civilization behind, there was no place to pack your inhibitions and fears.
I was told that I would be facing a week where the only thing I should expect was the unexpected. However, no one mentioned that I was going to have to fight for my life…and my heart as soon as I ventured into the unknown.
I was a pro at hiding from my feelings but when it came time to face a real threat, one that could change everything, I learned I was more of a no surrender, no retreat kind of girl.
Retreat is a standalone novel, the first in the Getaway series which centers on the hardheaded and brokenhearted Warner brothers and the women that dare to love them.
These boys are very good at putting the wild in wilderness.
I was a woman on the edge, shaken and shattered after a breakup that felt like it tore my entire world apart.
My best friend, sick of watching me drown in misery and melancholy, harassed me until I agreed to go with her on a week-long wilderness retreat.
She promised days spent bonding and getting in touch with our inner bad-asses.
It was supposed to be all about the two of us roughing it and making do with the bare minimum. She assured me we were going to be pushed to our limits in ways that were unimaginable. Neither one of us could have ever guessed just how right she was.
Nowhere in the glossy brochure did it say anything about the fact I was going to have to battle the insufferable but deliciously rugged and sexy trail guide instead of the elements. The brochure also forgot to mention the part that warned when you left civilization behind, there was no place to pack your inhibitions and fears.
I was told that I would be facing a week where the only thing I should expect was the unexpected. However, no one mentioned that I was going to have to fight for my life…and my heart as soon as I ventured into the unknown.
I was a pro at hiding from my feelings but when it came time to face a real threat, one that could change everything, I learned I was more of a no surrender, no retreat kind of girl.
Retreat is a standalone novel, the first in the Getaway series which centers on the hardheaded and brokenhearted Warner brothers and the women that dare to love them.
These boys are very good at putting the wild in wilderness.
My Thoughts:
Retreat is the first book in Jay Crownover's Getaway series. I knew after reading the synopsis that I had to read it! Surprisingly, I haven't read many cowboy adventure type books, and Retreat sounded so refreshing and different! For the most part, it was those things.
I am not normally one who goes for stories with insta-romance, however, Jay Crownover made it work for me. Cy and Leo's story was believable. I could see why they would have chemistry and be drawn to each other, despite the obstacles in their way. Leo had been through the ringer with people who were supposed to care about her, and it caused her heart to harden a bit. Although she always spoke her mind and was a tough cookie, I didn't find her to be intolerable or too "in your face". I could understand her reasoning. One thing that I admired was that she was the type of person who did what needed to be done, even when nobody else would want to do it.
Retreat was definitely filled with personality, good characters, and very steamy scenes. There were two men in the story that totally stole the show for me. I don't know if that was the author's intention or not, but despite only knowing a little bit about these guys, I want to have their stories now. I'm really crossing my fingers that they find someone worthy of them. Ok...so steamy scenes. Yep- there were a few of them that had me blushing a little and then fanning my face. Jay knows how to write 'em, that's for sure.
If I had to give my whole, honest opinion, I would say that I was flying through the pages for the first 65% of the book. After that, things sort of started to taper off a bit for me. I don't know if the story got to be a bit too long or drawn out, but it just didn't have that same grip on me. There were a few moments that had me raising a figurative eyebrow and really questioning what was going on, and if it were actually possible (yes, I know, I know- it's fiction, but still...).
Overall, this was a nice start to a new series, and I would like to continue reading it. The next book, Shelter, will (hopefully) provide some context into what happened when Leo was not around. I found that I really liked Em, and would like to find out what became of her.


























No comments:
Post a Comment