Review: Scintillate by Tracy Clark



Title: Scintillate (The Light Key Trilogy, #1)
Author: Tracy Clark
Date Published: February 4, 2014
Publisher: Entangled: Teen
ebook given by publisher in exchange for an honest review


From Goodreads:

A mighty flame follows a tiny spark.

Cora Sandoval’s mother disappeared when she was five and they were living in Ireland. Since then, her dad has been more than overprotective, and Cora is beginning to chafe under his confines. But even more troubling is the colorful light she suddenly sees around people. Everyone, that is, except herself—instead, she glows a brilliant, sparkling silver.

As she realizes the danger associated with these strange auras, Cora is inexplicably drawn to Finn, a gorgeous Irish exchange student who makes her feel safe. Their attraction is instant, magnetic, and primal—but her father disapproves, and Finn’s mother orders him home to Ireland upon hearing he’s fallen in love. After a fight with her father, Cora flees to Ireland, both to follow Finn and to look for her missing mother.

There she meets another silver-haloed person and discovers the meaning of her newfound powers and their role in a conspiracy spanning centuries—one that could change mankind forever…and end her life.

Scintillate is the first book in this lush and exciting new trilogy, full of romance, adventure and metaphysical mystery.


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18050015-scintillate?from_search=true


My Thoughts:

Wow! I really enjoyed Scintillate.  I'm usually pretty leery about reading some YA books, especially if there is a slight chance that there will be a love triangle involved. However, I am such a sucker for Irish folklore (and hot Irish guys), that I knew that I had to give Scintillate a shot. I'm so glad that I decided to read it! It grabbed my attention from the very beginning.

The story begins with seventeen year old, Cora, battling an unusually high fever. While she is battling her sickness, she hears her dad and step-mother talking about her mother who has been missing for twelve years, and becomes alarmed when her dad (a research scientist) draws some of her blood to study. Cora also sees a strange, creepy man watching her and making her feel lethargic, even from a distance. She later discovers various colored lights that surround the people she comes in contact with. After having these strange things happen to her, she decides to do some of her own research to find answers.

I liked Cora's character. Although smart and intuitive, she could also be pretty impulsive, and tended to jump into things without fully thinking of the consequences. She was definitely determined young lady. I have to say, I fell in love with Finn from the get-go.  He was very sweet and compassionate...and a musician to boot! I thought that there was something fishy about their instant attraction, but I just couldn't put my finger on it. The author really managed to surprise me, which isn't something that is easy to do these days.

 I was so stoked that part of this story took place in Ireland! I loved hearing about the pubs and the scenery. One of my dreams is to go to Ireland, and this book made me want to travel there even more badly.

The Scintaillate and the Arrazi are a new concept for me, and I found them to be very interesting and intriguing! I'm really looking forward to reading more about them. I cannot wait for the next book to come out. I definitely need more Finn, and I do believe Giovanni may have some more explaining to do.


Rating: 4 Stars!



*right now Scintillate is only $0.99 on Amazon and Barnes & Noble! What a deal!




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
DESIGN BY THE BLOG DECORATOR