Title: An Ember in the AshesAuthor: Sabaa Tahir
Publisher: Razorbill- Audio
Date Published: April 28, 2015
Rating: 4.5 Stars
Narrators: Fiona Hardingham & Steve West
Laia is a slave.
Elias is a soldier.
Neither is free.
Under the Martial Empire, defiance is met with death. Those who do not vow their blood and bodies to the Emperor risk the execution of their loved ones and the destruction of all they hold dear.
It is in this brutal world, inspired by ancient Rome, that Laia lives with her grandparents and older brother. The family ekes out an existence in the Empire’s impoverished backstreets. They do not challenge the Empire. They’ve seen what happens to those who do.
But when Laia’s brother is arrested for treason, Laia is forced to make a decision. In exchange for help from rebels who promise to rescue her brother, she will risk her life to spy for them from within the Empire’s greatest military academy.
There, Laia meets Elias, the school’s finest soldier—and secretly, its most unwilling. Elias wants only to be free of the tyranny he’s being trained to enforce. He and Laia will soon realize that their destinies are intertwined—and that their choices will change the fate of the Empire itself.
My Thoughts:
I have heard very mixed reviews of The Ember in the Ashes. I knew that there was a love triangle or even a love square, in the story. I have been burned by them in the past, especially when I didn't fall for the couple that ends up together at the end. However, there was just something about the synopsis that kept demanding my attention. I think a big part of it was the fact that the story was inspired by ancient Rome. The history lover within me just could not resist that.
So, I decided to try the audio version. That was a very good decision, if I do say so myself. ;) I ended up loving An Ember of the Ashes! I had the earbuds in my ears constantly, for about two days, because I was so sucked into the story. I had to know what was going to happen next.
Normally, I am not drawn to dual point of views and avoid them, but I ended up loving Laia and Elias' points of views. They both led such different lives and were such interesting people. I grew so invested in them! And oddly, they did not come in contact with each a lot. Sometimes they both interacted with the same person (at different times), though. I'm talking about the Commandant.
I have to say- the Commandant was one of the scariest villains I have ever read about. I got goosebumps when I read about some of the things this woman did, and I know my eyes must have gotten huge and that my jaw dropped at times.
Laia's character was a great, inspiring character. She was born into poverty and lived in fear of getting raided or killed. She didn't see herself as much, and did not feel like she lived up to those she looked up to. Yet, I started to see so much growth and strength in this girl. Elias was amazing too! He had so much integrity and strength, despite his circumstances.
Another thing that I appreciated about this story did not have an insta-romance, and that the two main characters were honest with themselves and how they felt. I am inwardly begging for my ship to sail though. They balance out each other so beautifully.
I am dying to read the next book, A Torch Against the Night. At the same time, I'm scared and nervous! An Ember in the Ashes left off with a bit of a cliffhanger, so I have to know if my new friends will be okay.


























Anna! That's awesome you devoured this one! Wendy did this one on audio too, so I'm wondering if I should do the same? Granted, I would probably finish it faster if I read because I don't get much time for audio sadly. I'm not thrilled about a love square either, but I, like you, am drawn in by the ancient Rome, so I think I need to push this up on the TBR!
ReplyDeleteI definitely recommend the audio, if you can get that. If not, I'd still read it. Isn't the cover gorgeous, btw??
DeleteThe narrators did an excellent job. Thankfully, my library's overdrive had it! I'm hoping they'll get the second book on audio, too.