Title: Power PlaySeries: Pilots Hockey, #2
Author: Sophia Henry
Publisher: Flirt
Date Published: February 16, 2016
In Sophia Henry’s blistering follow-up to Delayed Penalty, hailed as “sexy, fun, and full of angst” by L. P. Dover, a good girl and a hockey hunk face off against expectations—and this match is guaranteed to see plenty of action.
Beneath her innocent facade, Gabriella Bertucci has her reasons to be standoffish with guys. Especially guys like Landon Taylor, a star defenseman on the minor-league Detroit Pilots and the object of a serious crush since he first walked into her family’s market. But when Landon comes through for her in a moment of crisis, Gaby starts to wonder if there might be more to Landon than hard muscles and fast skates.
Landon isn’t afraid of telling Gaby that he’s got it for her bad. The problem is, she seems unwilling to believe it. And though Landon enjoys his reputation as a cool-headed athlete, he hates losing—both on the rink and off. It’s his competitiveness that makes him so damn good at what he does . . . but it also makes him just a little bit complicated.
One minute Gaby’s tempted to give in; the next, she’s getting cold feet. How can she trust a guy who’s destined for bigger and better things to stick around? Then again, when Landon pulls her close with those powerful arms, the only thing that matters is right now.
My Thoughts:
After reading Power Play, I can definitely say that I am hooked on Sophia Henry's, Pilots Hockey series! I love how we get to read from the perspective of players and their loved ones, and experience the struggle and effort it takes to try and make it into the NHL. Like Alexandr (Delayed Penalty), Landon, is in the minor leagues, and has been frustrated as he is seeing his fellow teammates get called up to the NHL.
Landon is such a likable guy! I love that he is so easy-going and kind. He is embarrassed about his doubts and insecurities regarding his family, yet he confides in Gaby, and he's not afraid to accept her honesty. I would have loved a little more of the story told from his point-of-view, although I really did like Gaby.
Gaby has had her own struggles and I felt so bad for what she went through, and how she still has to face it everyday. I cannot even imagine! I would have lost it and ran a long time ago. I found Gaby to be very relatable though. She's smart, intuitive, and sweet. I loved watching her character grow along the way.
Another thing I liked about Power Play was the setting. On the news, you hear how Detroit has had difficulties and has struggled economically, over the years. Gaby has seen this first hand, yet she and her family have chosen to stay and try and to make their city a better place. I admire that.
I am really looking forward to the third book, Interference (and by the way, I love how these titles revolve around hockey penalties!). I am not sure who this story will be about, but I still cannot wait to read it!


























No comments:
Post a Comment