Review: Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon



Title: Everything, Everything
Series: Standalone
Author: Nicola Yoon
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Date Published: September 1, 2015
Audio Version
Narrator: Bahni Turpin
Rated: 5 Stars

My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster. 


My Thoughts:


I really did not expect to love Everything, Everything as much as I did! I remember a lot of people raving about it last year, and then it was a nominee for the 2015 Goodreads Choice Awards. That all sounded good, but I've been burned by a lot of books not living up to the hype. Then I wasn't so sure about the synopsis; a girl basically allergic to everything? Really?

However, there was so much more to the story!

I decided to listen to the audio version of Everything, Everything, and I am very happy with that decision. One of the things that made this book so amazing and special for me, was the narrator, Bahni Turpin. She did an amazing job! She really made Madeline's character come alive. 

The author, Nicola Yoon, did a beautiful job of writing Madeline's character. She acted just how I believe a person in her circumstances would act.  Even when Maddie could be so darn stubborn that I wanted to scream, I understood why. I wished she had gone about some things differently, but then again, I wasn't in her position, and I did not live her life.

I absolutely adored Ollie! I think I would even consider him a new 'book boyfriend'. His character was so full of life and he was so fun! He wanted the best for Maddie, and truly cared about her well-being.

Everything, Everything had such beautiful writing and creative dialogue. I was smiling as I listened to the emails that the characters exchanged, and I loved the friendship that Maddie had with Carla.  I definitely recommend it for those looking for a good, heartfelt, YA standalone.







2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so glad you loved this one too Anna! I think I waited so long to read it because I was afraid it wouldn't be as wonderful as everyone thought. It was BETTER. I loved Olly with Maddy. They just complemented each other SO WELL. And Carla! Ahhh! She ROCKED!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was afraid to read it for that reason, too. I love it when I'm pleasantly surprised! :)

      Delete

 
DESIGN BY THE BLOG DECORATOR