A Re-Read...and a Series Review! The Ruby Red Trilogy by Kerstin Gier



 
A few years ago, I read Ruby Red, by Kerstin Gier, and I just fell in love with it! At the time, the third book in the trilogy, Emerald Green, hadn't been released yet, so I decided to wait for it come out, before I started the second book, Sapphire Blue. Sadly, Emerald Green, has LONG since been released, and I did not finish the series until very recently.

Since I am taking part in the Re-Read Challenge, hosted by Hannah, at So Obsessed With, and Kelly over at Belle of the Literati, I decided that a re-read of Ruby Red was long overdue!
 
 
 

Although I had never seen him before, I recognized him immediately. I'd have known his voice anywhere. This was the guy I'd seen on my last journey back in time.

Or more precisely, the one who'd kissed my doppelganger while I was hiding behind the curtain in disbelief.


Sixteen-year-old Gwen lives with her extended - and rather eccentric - family in an exclusive London neighborhood. In spite of her ancestors' peculiar history, she's had a relatively normal life so far. The time-traveling gene that runs like a secret thread through the female half of the family is supposed to have skipped over Gwen, so she hasn't been introduced to "the mysteries," and can spend her time hanging out with her best friend, Lesly. It comes as an unwelcome surprise when she starts taking sudden, uncontrolled leaps into the past.

She's totally unprepared for time travel, not to mention all that comes with it: fancy clothes, archaic manners, a mysterious secret society, and Gideon, her time-traveling counterpart. He's obnoxious, a know-it-all, and possibly the best-looking guy she's seen in any century . . . .



https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12358349-ruby-red
 
 
 
WHEN I First Read
June 15, 2012.
 
WHAT I Remember
This was my first, Young Adult, time-travel book and  I enjoyed it so much! I remember loving Kerstin Gier's writing style and her characters. I really liked Gwen, and totally wished that I could go back in time, too! There was also the beginnings of a sweet romance.
 

WHY I Wanted to Re-Read
So many of the details were fuzzy! I could not remember names of important people or specific events. (I believe part of this is due to age, not because of the writing.) I also wanted to read the rest of the series and find out what else happened!
 
HOW I Felt After Re-Reading
I could  not believe how much I had forgotten, and I had a lot of, "oh yeahhh" moments. I would say that I enjoyed Ruby Red even more the second time around! I can't explain why, but the characters seemed more vivid, and I had stronger opinions about a couple of the characters this time around. I also had more questions as I read. This is a 5-star book for me. I immediately dived into book two, this time around.

 WOULD I Re-Read Again
ABSOLUTELY. I have a feeling I would catch more things that I missed the first and second time that I read this.
 


Which leads me to...

http://www.loveatfirstpage.org/2015/06/01/summer-of-series-june-challenge-goals-link-ups/
 
The Summer of Series reading challenge is being hosted by Danielle, form Love At First Page, and Lili from Lili's Reflections.
 
 
For the month of June, I decided to binge read The Ruby Red Trilogy. Although I really liked the hardback covers, I love the paperback versions even more!
 




https://www.goodreads.com/series/98294-the-ruby-red-trilogy
 
 
 
This trilogy has just made my list of all-time favorite YA fiction book series! I love time travel and I love historical fiction, and I adore Kerstin Gier's writing and her sense of humor. Sapphire Blue, which was my favorite book in the trilogy (which is strange, since I normally like the second book in a series the least), really had me giggling, thanks to Xemerius. I loved his little commentaries and the lightness he brought to all  of the situations.

As I was reading this series, I felt like I was taking part in a chess match. When you have good and bad guys who possibly have the power to control (or influence) time travel, it can be difficult to predict the outcome. Someone could always go back in time and change things to their liking. So the players, I mean the characters, Gwen and Gideon, had to be careful in the things that they did. I loved it when they went back in time, as there was a sense of adventure in that, and I didn't know what to expect.

These books are told in first person, so it was a very good thing that I liked the main character, Gwen (Gwyneth). She was fun and optimistic. People often underestimated her, and she never felt the need to brag or prove anything. She knew she was capable of doing great things. What I liked most about her, was that she new when she did need help, and she asked for it! So many times, the characters I read about, try and do everything themselves, and in the long run, things are so much harder for them. Therefore, I was so happy that Gwen had her best friend Lesley ( and another special person *wink*), by her side!

I liked all of the other characters, as well. Aunt Maddy, Xemerius, Caroline, Nick, Rafael, and James, all brought something special to the series. As much as Aunt Glenda and Charlotte got on my nerves, and more often than not, had me shaking my head at some of the things they said or did, I was still glad that they were part of the story, and wouldn't want it any other way.

I wish that there was another book in this series or an epilogue, so that I could see what the characters are up to in the future or can find out happened to some of the characters I met in the past! I can definitely see myself re-reading these books at some point. I know that this is a series that I will also share with my teenager, as I think she will love it too!




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
DESIGN BY THE BLOG DECORATOR