Review: Piercing the Silence (a Grey Wolves novella) by Quinn Loftis



Title: Piercing the Silence
Series: A Grey Wolves novella, #8.5
Date Published: June 12, 2014

It’s been six months since Jacque Lupei was imprisoned in the dark forest with her female pack mates, wondering if they would ever see their mates again. Six months since she and Fane found out that Jen and Decebel would not be the only couple adding a new pup to the pack. Six months of peace and quiet…other than Jen running her mouth incessantly about Sally getting to go on an adventure with Peri while she has to miss all the fun. When she isn’t complaining about that, she spends her time commenting on how Jacque’s butt is getting wider by the minute. Jacque doesn’t know it, but the reprieve was about to be over. She and Fane thought his demons had been dealt with, but the nightmares are back and the In-Between is once again ripping a hole inside of her mate.
Jacque can’t stand to see him hurting. She can’t stand knowing that in some way she was responsible for his struggle because she, after all, was the subject of his pain from the In-Between. She’ll do anything to stop his turmoil. So she makes a desperate decision to do what she thinks her mate needs, or doesn’t need. Others will call it insane. Jen will add her own creative descriptions, including expletives thrown in for added effect. Whatever you call it, Jacque calls it an answer to the darkness that is slowly consuming her mate.
She knows that if Fane has any idea of what she has planned, he would chain her to his side. So, naturally she does what any female Canis lupus would do in her shoes--she shuts down the bond and prays that no one gets in her way. She knows he might never forgive her, but then, if her plan works, he won’t even remember her name.



https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25456612-piercing-silence-grey-wolves-series-novella
 
 
 
My Thoughts:
 
 
I have read almost all of Quinn Loftis' books. Every time she releases a new book from her Grey Wolves series, I tend to drop whatever else I'm reading, and immediately begin reading her new book. I am hooked on the world she has created and have fallen in love with each of her characters.

Piercing the Silence takes place shortly after the spin-off series, Gypsy Healers, begins, so all of the events are going on simultaneously. I had been wondering what was happening with Jacqui and Jen, while Sally was off having her own adventures, and I was able to find out in this novella.

Fane has started dealing with some things that he'd thought he had moved past, and he's a little leery about allowing Jacqui to help him through it. Yes, he is a little bit stubborn. In response, Jacqui tries to shoulder everything, and in doing so learns a lesson and gains some insight.

I think that what I liked best about this novella, was that I could see growth development and the characters starting to mature a little bit (more). Don't get me wrong, they're still pretty funny and made me smile. However, I think that they (especially Jen) are learning when it's really not okay to say some things and when to let things slide. They are also learning what it means to truly trust. We also got to see what it is that truly makes Jen an alpha. Other than being very opinionated and uninhibited, which is part of it, I didn't completely see it before. Now I think I understand.

I also liked that we still got to see a little bit of Sally and Costin, who are my favorite characters in the series. These two always make me grin like an idiot. I am really looking forward to Quinn's next book. You can bet that it will take priority over my other reads. 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
DESIGN BY THE BLOG DECORATOR