Title: By Your SideSeries: (standalone)
Author: Kasie West
Publisher: Harper Teen
Date Published: January 31, 2017
Rating: 3.5 Stars
In this irresistible story, Kasie West explores the timeless question of what to do when you fall for the person you least expect. Witty and romantic, this paperback original from a fan favorite is perfect for fans of Stephanie Perkins and Morgan Matson.
When Autumn Collins finds herself accidentally locked in the library for an entire weekend, she doesn’t think things could get any worse. But that’s before she realizes that Dax Miller is locked in with her. Autumn doesn’t know much about Dax except that he’s trouble. Between the rumors about the fight he was in (and that brief stint in juvie that followed it) and his reputation as a loner, he’s not exactly the ideal person to be stuck with. Still, she just keeps reminding herself that it is only a matter of time before Jeff, her almost-boyfriend, realizes he left her in the library and comes to rescue her.
Only he doesn’t come. No one does.
Instead it becomes clear that Autumn is going to have to spend the next couple of days living off vending-machine food and making conversation with a boy who clearly wants nothing to do with her. Except there is more to Dax than meets the eye. As he and Autumn first grudgingly, and then not so grudgingly, open up to each other, Autumn is struck by their surprising connection. But can their feelings for each other survive once the weekend is over and Autumn’s old life, and old love interest, threaten to pull her from Dax’s side?
Quick Thoughts:
I really enjoyed the other two books that I read by Kasie West (The Distance Between Us and The Fill-In Boyfriend). Both were page turners that sucked me in from the very beginning. While I liked By Your Side, it just didn't have the same effect on me.
First off- I loved that West explored anxiety disorder. I felt like she handled it well, as the main character, Autumn, had it, and we got to see a world through her eyes. I also liked that we got to learn about her hobby of photography. Another thing that I appreciated abou this book was that Autumn got to really see and get to know a person who was basically ignored by the rest of her classmates. She only knew rumors about him. Dax had been though so much, and had never really had stability. My heart just went out to him.
What didn't really work for me? Well...I really didn't believe the romance for some reason. I wanted to- I really did, but it just fell a little short. I liked the friendship the two shared, but I kept waiting for...something. I was also disappointed in how Autumn treated one of her other friends. It made her seem a little fickle. I also wondered why she didn't seem to trust her group of friends. Okay, there were one or two of them that gave me pause, but most of her friends seemed really nice.
As with the other two books, I really wanted more at the end. However, in By Your Side, there were so many unanswered questions and things left unresolved. I felt like I was missing a few pages at the end. With that said, I will continue to read as many Kasie West books as I can get my hands on. Like I said, I loved the other two books I read. I am really looking forward to her next book, Lucky in Love!


























No comments:
Post a Comment