Title: From Sand and Ashstandalone
Author: Amy Harmon
Publisher: Lake Union Publishing
Date Published: December 1, 2006
Italy, 1943—Germany occupies much of the country, placing the Jewish population in grave danger during World War II.
As children, Eva Rosselli and Angelo Bianco were raised like family but divided by circumstance and religion. As the years go by, the two find themselves falling in love. But the church calls to Angelo and, despite his deep feelings for Eva, he chooses the priesthood.
Now, more than a decade later, Angelo is a Catholic priest and Eva is a woman with nowhere to turn. With the Gestapo closing in, Angelo hides Eva within the walls of a convent, where Eva discovers she is just one of many Jews being sheltered by the Catholic Church.
But Eva can’t quietly hide, waiting for deliverance, while Angelo risks everything to keep her safe. With the world at war and so many in need, Angelo and Eva face trial after trial, choice after agonizing choice, until fate and fortune finally collide, leaving them with the most difficult decision of all.
My Thoughts:
I debated on how I could possibly review From Sand and Ash, and still somehow manage to give it the due and justice that it deserves, or even to express how much it meant to me. I just can't.
I have only read two books by Amy Harmon, but I can say that there is something special and magical about her writing. Her words make me think and reflect on the scenarios and the actions of not only the characters that I am reading about, but my own life as well. I really cannot express how much From Sand and Ash impacted me.
I was originally reading only 2-3 chapters a day as part of a read-along. Since this is a setting that takes place during World War 2, I new this would be very intense. Breaking up the chapters was very necessary (for me), because I would sometimes have to give pause in order to process what was happening and to somehow try and cope with all of the emotions brought out by the story. My heart would beat frantically and I would often find myself holding my breath. Then when I got 2/3 in, I just couldn't do that anymore, and I had to just finish the rest of the book in the sitting. I needed to know what would happen to these characters.
Once I finished the From Sand and Ash, I kind of sat there feeling stunned and in awe simultaneously. There are so many things to sort out and to think about. So many quotes that I will want to go back and re-read. The characters have stayed with me and they will stay with me for a very long time.


























No comments:
Post a Comment