Caraval by Stephanie Garber


Title: Caraval
Series: Caraval, #1
Author: Stephanie Garber
Publisher: Flatiron Books
Date Published: January 31, 2017
Rating: 4-4.5 Stars

Whatever you've heard about Caraval, it doesn't compare to the reality. It's more than just a game or a performance. It's the closest you'll ever find to magic in this world . . . 

Welcome, welcome to Caraval―Stephanie Garber’s sweeping tale of two sisters who escape their ruthless father when they enter the dangerous intrigue of a legendary game.


Scarlett has never left the tiny island where she and her beloved sister, Tella, live with their powerful, and cruel, father. Now Scarlett’s father has arranged a marriage for her, and Scarlett thinks her dreams of seeing Caraval, the far-away, once-a-year performance where the audience participates in the show, are over.

But this year, Scarlett’s long-dreamt of invitation finally arrives. With the help of a mysterious sailor, Tella whisks Scarlett away to the show. Only, as soon as they arrive, Tella is kidnapped by Caraval’s mastermind organizer, Legend. It turns out that this season’s Caraval revolves around Tella, and whoever finds her first is the winner.

Scarlett has been told that everything that happens during Caraval is only an elaborate performance. But she nevertheless becomes enmeshed in a game of love, heartbreak, and magic with the other players in the game. And whether Caraval is real or not, she must find Tella before the five nights of the game are over, a dangerous domino effect of consequences is set off, and her sister disappears forever.
 






My Thoughts: 

Caraval was a delightful surprise! It seemed like it I had been waiting forever for it to be released and I was growing very impatient. I had tried to stay away from all of the reviews, but I did see a lot of hype. I also read where some readers were disappointed, and some of my hope faded. I had also heard that there were some comparison's to Erin Morgenstern's, The Night Circus , but I haven't read that (although I would like to now). When Caravel FINALLY came into my hands, I decided to try and read it with an open mind. Thankfully, I ended up NOT being disappointed!

I totally fell in love with the synopsis of Caraval. There was just something compelling and fascinating about it,and I think the story lived up to it. I normally don't read mysteries, but I really enjoyed all of the guessing and contemplating that I had to do while reading Caraval! Every time I thought I had things figured out, I was thrown off. I also enjoyed the fantasy and magical elements in this story. Things weren't sugar coated, either. I kept wondering if this thing and that thing was real, or if Scarlet's case was special. Were the people that she met friends or foe? 

I also found Scarlett to be pleasant and relatable. She wasn't perfect or a Mary Sue. She fumbled a bit and made the mistakes, that many of us might make in a competition. Scarlett had been through a lot with her dad, but she was still kind, vulnerable, hopeful, and just wanted to be loved. 

My only gripes with Caraval was that I believe that it could have had a little more development and details. For instance, did Scarlett ever eat or bathe? I'm sure she did, but it was never really mentioned. I also would have liked to know a little bit more about her relationship with her sister (before Caraval) in order to learn why she was so close to her sister, because honestly her Tella could come across as being a little selfish or self absorbed. 

With that said, I am sad that I will have to wait such a long time for the sequel. The next book in this duology sounds like it will be exciting, and I am just as intrigued by the premise of that as I was for Caraval!





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
DESIGN BY THE BLOG DECORATOR